Volunteering opportunity – Learn about natural building techniques
Sign up for the volunteering opportunity
Join us 31 March – 4 April
- Tyre building and pounding, there are several processes attached to this from pounding tyres to moving earth, site cleaning and general site work. This comprises the external walls and is the most intensive part of the project and possibly the most exciting. You need to be fit and willing to work, but there are roles that require less physical endurance, such as moving earth in buckets.
- Cobbing of walls and working with mud, the tyre walls will be cobbed, (a mixture of clay, sand and straw) as plaster.
- Using glass bottles for light bricks, cutting and building the glass bottle bricks into the walls in patterns and as an artistic expression.
- Building with eco-bricks. The internal walls will be built in frames,, filled with eco-bricks and cobbed before being lime plastered.
- Plastering the tyre walls after cobbing with a lime plaster.
- Thursday 31st March to Monday 4th April
- 9:30am to 3:30pm